Monday, March 17, 2014

Being Myself at Work

A co-worker told me I looked sparkly today, and shiny.  Yes, I'll take it!  While my response was, I needed a little shine today, honestly, I enjoy sparkle everyday.  The older I get, the more I realize that I'm the type of woman who uses her favorite perfumes as she pleases, wears her lipsticks daily and does her best to live life fully.  If not now, then when?

Express dress, Gap 1969 denim shirt, Hue tights, Frye Regina pumps
One of my affirmations today, said in front of the mirror before getting dressed went something like: Thank you Universe for one more day to be myself.  More than the leather dress, this meant taking time to address and nurture social emotional learning.

I had an impromptu discussion with students today after class.  I always knew my students are dealing with all kinds of issues, but what I heard today bought tears to my eyes.  While I don't think a teacher should cry tears of frustration or anger in front of her pupils, I felt comfortable sharing drops of empathy with my students today.  Life can be hard, especially when it is out of your control.  But my message to all is, it gets easier. Learn from today, put your work in where it counts, and believe the future can get better.  It will.

bow mid ring and gold ring from Forever 21
On that note, I thoroughly enjoyed my outfit today.  Why not sparkle at work?  I believe in showing up in life.  I may be hours behind in sleep and with a never-ending to-do list, but that doesn't mean I can't do my best work.  What that looked like for me today was showing up in my faux leather dress that I eventually covered in chalk, and a tiny midi ring.  Yes.  Life is good.  As I prefaced the message I shared with my students earlier, I am blessed.  And while the discussion I faciliated wasn't planned, nor was it Common Core States Standards aligned, it was socially and emotionally relevant.  In my eighth year and current placement, I am struggling to find the space to do what I deem necessary: teach the whole child.



With that said, I enjoyed my mix of neutrals.  The blue tights were a nice touch to the denim shirt and leather dress look.  The brown leather pumps played off of the gold necklace and watch nicely.  As much as I wanted to wear my Heroine lipstick today, I figured purple lipstick and a leather dress would simply be too much for my kind of work.

Until next time,
Miss M

No comments:

Post a Comment